Witness strength at Cross Country meets this fall.
Google your local high school or college cross country team. Locate their season's racing schedule. Mark your calendar and show up.
You don't need to know anyone racing, their singlets will have their school name on them. And most races are free to watch.
You won't regret it!
- Wear your walking shoes and leave the foldable chair in the car. This is an interactive sport!
- Arrive 30 minutes before the start of the races. You will need time to park and walk to the start line. There will be several races during the meet. Boys/men and girls/women teams will race separately. Plus there will be different levels of races: Middle School, Junior Varsity, and Varsity.
- Find the start line - If you don't know where it is, ask around, it is the common question.
- Look out for a map of the course and take a picture of it with your phone. Then pinpoint a central location to view the race. Many racecourses are spectator friendly and loop around giving you several chances to cheer.
- Follow the crowd for viewing all the action. The parents and teammates will dart off to the next best spot to view the race.
- Cheer often and for everyone!
- Soak in the beauty of the park or golf course.
- Understand the sacrifice and devotion of the athletes. Many have trained 6 days a week all summer in the heat, often on their own.
Running is a sport, cheer athletes on!