Overtraining awareness keeps you off the injury list.
Knowledge is power. Being aware of the overtraining symptoms will decrease your rate of injury.
Overtraining Indicators from Sage Rountree's book The Athlete's Guide to Recovery
- Loss of interest in competition and training
- Loss of ability to focus, both in training and at work
- Loss of appetite
- Disturbed sleep
- Bad mood
- Decline in performance
- Heavy, lifeless feeling in the leg
- Weight loss
- Gaunt visage
- Raised heart rate at rest, during postural shifts, and/or after exercise
- Muscle soreness that does not abate
- Swollen lymph nodes
- Gastrointestinal (GI) trouble, especially diarrhea
- Frequent illness
- Slowing healing
- Amenorrhea (loss of menstrual period)
Remind your mentor, training partners, or coach to be on the outlook for these symptoms.
If you find that you are displaying several of the symptoms consult your doctor and make a plan to return to a healthy running routine.
Early intervention will decrease the recovery period needed to come back to a happy healthy runner.